Accommodating an employee means to remove barriers so that he or she is able to do the essential duties of the job. Did you know that is your legal right? In this course, participants explore disability and accommodation to enable a better understanding of disability prevention practices – as it relates to discussing the respective laws that protect people with disabilities. The corresponding duties within protection laws requiring accommodation are also discussed.
- The source legislation for the duty to accommodate and the undue hardship defence;
- Jurisprudence that has formed the present day understanding of this duty;
- Responsibilities of the workplace parties (employer, worker and union) in the process;
- The union’s responsibilities and liabilities in accommodations; and
- The requirement for cooperation in the accommodation process.